Friday, July 22, 2011

What's In a Name?

Nicknames – some people love them, some people hate them. I know that people, especially kids can be ruthless and may give a nickname in spite or to poke fun. I don’t really ever remember having that happen to me. My nickname experiences have all been pretty good. I think I have always loved them; at least as far back as I can remember I have. There’s something about a nickname that makes me feel so accepted, welcome, loved. They make me feel “all warm and fuzzy inside.”

You might be laughing but think about it. By calling you something other than your given name, your friend is kinda saying that they feel close enough to you to give you a name of their own. It’s like a verbal signal to everyone around you that you are friends, good friends. It shows you belong in their group.

I have many nicknames that I love because they came from people that were special to me. My roommates in my last year of college called me “Annlee.” My sister calls me “Annalily.” Various teachers and co-workers have called me “Annabelle” or “Annabanana.” My friends in OKC call me “Aynne” (That one’s all about the pronunciation!). My little brother called me “Glasses” when he was a baby. To my Grandma I am “Sunshine.” And I remember when I was about 5, my Grandmother and Granddad called me “the Texas Tornado.”

Another thing I like about a nickname is the story behind it, ‘cause there usually is one. For example my high school friends used to call me “Annabelle.” Then we all watched “Seven Brides for Seven Brothers” and the little calf at the barn building’s name was also Annabelle. So then my nickname evolved into “Annabelle-moo-moo.” It still makes me giggle when I think about it!

Then there are some nicknames that only really one person can get away with. For my sister that was “Jenny;” only Dad got to call her that. For me it’s “Annie.” I hate, hate, HATE being called “Annie” because it’s a mispronunciation of my name. (It’s actually a pet-peeve of mine to introduce myself to someone as “Anne.” Then they read my name and say, “Oh it’s really Annie.” It makes me want to shout, “It’s called phonics, People! The ‘e’ is silent!”) But my friend Andrea calls me that and when she does (and only her!) it makes me feel special.

So what are all of your nicknames? The good? The awful? The special? I'd love to hear some of yours too...

3 comments:

  1. You forgot about Anakin!
    Anyway, I usually get J. Like the letter, or the Leno. One as a kid was Jacie, not so much a fan of that one if you aren't my grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have plenty--one of those names, like yours. Salls, Selena Maria, SJ, SalPal, Sal, Seal Pup, Sally O'Malley, Sally the alley cat, Big Sal (I REALLY hate that one but it is hilarious..to my sisters and best friend).....

    ReplyDelete
  3. J: Yes I did forget Anakin! Cat calls me that. I do like that one too.

    Sally: LOL! Yep you've got a great list too! To me at work you were Sally J to keep from mixing you up!

    Thanks to you both for commenting. I really appreciate it. =)

    ReplyDelete

I always love to receive feedback! Thanks so much for your contribution!