Sunday, July 24, 2011

Songs on a Sunday - Channels Only

Considering how much money the music industry generates every year, the love of music must be a fairly universal part of us humans. I love music personally. The way it flows, the rhythm, the way it can move you body, soul, and spirit... all of it combines into something special and unique.

I thought that I would set aside Sundays for posting and discussing my favorite songs.

The first song I have chosen is "Channels Only." It's an old but beautiful hymn that speaks deeply to me. Because of the way it rolls off of your tongue, I always want to sing it with a little bit of an Irish accent because it just seems to lend itself to the soft and lilting melody.

I had heard it before, but it became precious to me the summer I worked at the Bill Rice Ranch. It was the theme song for all of the devotions held for the girl workers that summer. Perhaps it  became so precious to me because it went so well with what God was teaching me that summer - that the smallest, insignificant, behind-the-scenes jobs are still serving Him when done for His glory to accomplish His work.

Channels Only

How I praise Thee, precious Savior, That Thy love laid hold of me;
Thou hast saved and cleansed and filled me That I might Thy channel be.

Refrain:
Channels only, blessèd Master,
But with all Thy wondrous power
Flowing through us, Thou canst use us
Every day and every hour.


Just a channel full of blessing, To the thirsty hearts around;
To tell out Thy full salvation All Thy loving message sound.

Refrain

Emptied that Thou shouldest fill me, A clean vessel in Thy hand;
With no power but as Thou givest Graciously with each command.

Refrain

Witnessing Thy power to save me, Setting free from self and sin;
Thou who boughtest to possess me, In Thy fullness, Lord, come in.

Refrain

Jesus, fill now with Thy Spirit Hearts that full surrender know;
That the streams of living water From our inner self may flow.

Refrain

Verse 1-2: Speak to me of the blessing of salvation and tell that God saves us for a purpose - to be His channel, a vessel He can use to pour His blessings out on others. Verse 3-5: Speak to me so eloquently of God's enabling power, how we cannot accomplish anything on our own, and that in serving Him by serving others we will find enough strength for ourselves as His power flows through us. It speaks of consecration and surrender. Refrain: Speaks to me of unselfishness and humility. We are nothing special, just a vessel He uses to pour out His blessings on others, but look at what does flow through us! His wondrous power!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love to receive feedback! Thanks so much for your contribution!