Thursday, September 15, 2011

What a Girl Wants or Rather Doesn't Want

Being single and 26 I can totally understand that navigating the whole singles "scene" can be difficult. That being said I would tend to think some things should just be a no-brainer, but apparently they aren't.

The other night I was working at my part-time retail job where I sell eyeglasses. We had gotten really busy and there were only two of us left working the retail floor. At one point there were about 4 sets of people waiting. I finally worked my way to the last guy waiting for help.

First off let me say, while I was working with the other customers I could hear this guy arguing with someone on the phone. It sounded like a girl from the tone of the argument and the groveling that he was doing. Secondly, he looked like a greasy, nasty kind of guy, the kind that makes you want to "hide your kids, hide your wives."

I sat down to help him; he wanted his glasses adjusted. But the first thing he expressed was concern that I didn't know what I was doing. He wanted my male co-worker (who was still busy with other customers) to come help him. I assured him that my five and a half years of experience left me fully qualified to help him. My co-worker could hear him giving me a slightly hard time and came over to assure him that I was able to help him. He even told him that I could probably even help him better since I had about 4 years more experience at making adjustments.

At some point in this conversation the creeper tells my co-worker that "besides that, she's hot." In my mind I was thinking, "Did he just say that out loud where I could obviously hear him?"  My co-worker walked off and while I was working on his glasses, he proceeded to inform me personally that I was hot.

In the following few minutes while I was hurriedly trying to fix Mr. Creepy's glasses so he could get out of the store, he asked me if I was married, if I had a boyfriend, and then told me that "he couldn't imagine why not because I was hot and seemed like a cool girl." Then while I am trying to convince him that I am done and the glasses fit perfectly, he starts to brag about his job and tries to name-drop celebrities that I had never heard of.

Just in case this pitiable guy's mistakes weren't glaringly obvious, I will point them out. 1) Arguing/groveling with a girl on the phone should not be done in public. It is also not the best way to start anything with anyone who can hear you. All it tells me is that you must do things to get in trouble in your current relationship, which doesn't impress me at all. It also tells me that you are probably a cheater. "Oh yes, sign me up for that! Just what I always hoped for in a guy!"

2) Personal hygiene is important!! If you want a girl to find you attractive and pleasant please look like you bathe at least once in a while. Daily would be ideal! Greasy, slicked back, used-car-salesman hair that looks like it hasn't seen shampoo for a week is not the way to impress us.

3) Doubting my abilities or knowledge simply because I am female is a good way to make me extremely annoyed with you not interested in you. Maybe try to determine if I am capable based on my abilities rather than my gender.

4) The word "hot" has less than desirable connotations to a good girl. There are many, many other words you can use to express appreciation for how a girl looks that don't leave her feeling like she is dirty and in need of a shower. Might I suggest cute, nice, pretty, beautiful, etc. Also the tone speaks volumes! The same words can come across gross or complimentary depending on how respectful your tone of voice is.

5) Bragging and name-dropping just plain don't impress us! When a guy brags it makes me wonder what he is trying to cover up. It makes him seem small and insignificant because he needs to brag to make himself appear bigger and more important. If you really are cool, girls will be able to figure it on their own. Being passionate about what you do is far more impressive than bragging about how important you are because of what you do.

6) Smooth talking and flattery are insincere. They make me distrust you because I feel like you aren't an honest person. Girls in general know how they look. Overkill and flattery just make girls wonder what a guy wants and "how foolish and gullible does he think I am?" Please be honest and sincere; honesty goes a lot further at being flattering!

Girls, you do not want a guy who does these things. Guys, please don't be like this guy! It doesn't impress us; it just disgusts us.

6 comments:

  1. Loved this! Especially the "hide your kids, hide your wife" reference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel: Glad you enjoyed it! I thought that the reference would convey the image I had in mind! Glad it worked. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny! Though I should hope that the male readership of your blog is not in need of this tutorial. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anita- They probably aren't; I was probably preaching to the choir, but just in case! =) Sometimes you just gotta say something, even if the audience isn't really who you really want to say it to. Glad it was entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember you mentioning this bone head a while back. I'm glad to read a fuller version complete with your impressions. SIGH! It's terrible that people like that are loose on the public!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melinda, glad you enjoyed the full version! LOL! And yes, it's sad that it is all too common to meet such a guy...

    ReplyDelete

I always love to receive feedback! Thanks so much for your contribution!