Sunday, February 19, 2012

Songs on a Sunday - Day by Day

Day by Day
by Lina Sandell

As is true with so many of the hymns that deeply touch our hearts, Day by Day was written after personal tragedy touched the life of the author, Lina Sandell of Sweden. Her fragile health throughout most of her childhood led to her being especially close to her father. She often spent all day with him in his study rather than playing with children her own age. When she was the same age as me, only 26, she took a trip with her beloved father. As they were sailing, due to an unexpected lurch, her father fell overboard and drowned while she watched helplessly from the boat.

Lina had already written a few songs before this tragedy, but overtime, she became known as the Swedish Fanny Crosby due to the outpouring of her heart into about 650 songs. She was especially known for writing songs that spoke of having simple, childlike faith and trust in her loving Lord and Heavenly Father. Day by Day was translated into English by Andrew Scroog sometime in the early 1900's.

Day by Day

Day by day, and with each passing moment,
Strength I find, to meet my trials here;
Trusting in my Father’s wise bestowment,
I’ve no cause for worry or for fear.
He Whose heart is kind beyond all measure
Gives unto each day what He deems best—
Lovingly, its part of pain and pleasure,
Mingling toil with peace and rest.

Every day, the Lord Himself is near me
With a special mercy for each hour;
All my cares He fain would bear, and cheer me,
He Whose Name is Counselor and Power;
The protection of His child and treasure
Is a charge that on Himself He laid;
“As thy days, thy strength shall be in measure,”
This the pledge to me He made.

Help me then in every tribulation
So to trust Thy promises, O Lord,
That I lose not faith’s sweet consolation
Offered me within Thy holy Word.
Help me, Lord, when toil and trouble meeting,
Ever to take, as from a father’s hand,
One by one, the days, the moments fleeting,
Till I reach the promised land.

2 comments:

  1. This song became an instant favorite from the time I first heard it (while in college). The message really resonated with me. I did not know the background of the song or it's writer... Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never heard it until you came to OKC? Wow... I grew up hearing it and it's been one of my favorites for years. But I actually had never heard the background of this song before either until I looked it up for this post.

      Delete

I always love to receive feedback! Thanks so much for your contribution!