Wednesday, January 4, 2012

I am a C...

I don't know who wrote this poem, but a friend shared it on Facebook and I fell in love with it. I have seen similar ones before, but this one seems to really, truly capture how I personally feel about being a Christian.

I am a Christian

When I say... "I am a Christian"
I'm not shouting "I'm clean livin'."
I'm whispering, "I was lost;
Now I'm found and forgiven."

When I say... "I am a Christian"
I don't speak of this with pride.
 I'm confessing that I stumble 
And need Christ to be my guide.

When I say... "I am a Christian"
I am not trying to be strong.
I'm professing that I'm weak
And need His strength to carry on.

When I say... "I am a Christian"
 I'm not bragging of success.
I am admitting I have failed
And need God to clean my mess.

When I say... "I am a Christian"
I'm not claiming to be perfect.
My flaws are far too visible
But God believes I am worth it.

When I say... "I am a Christian"
I still feel the sting of pain.
I have my share of heartaches
So I call upon His name.

When I say... "I am a Christian"
 I'm not holier than thou.
I am just a simple sinner
Who received God's grace somehow!

This poem also made me think about how I present my Christianity to others. Am I actively showing the people I meet that these things are what a Christian is? Can they see in my life that though I still have hurts I run to Christ? That I don't think I am self-righteous but humbly seek to serve the One that made me righteous? That I am strong only when I rely on His strength? 

I think far too often Christians present the "outside world" with a smug, self-righteous, strong-in-my-own-strength warped version of Christianity that leaves them as disgusted as God Himself must be with such a hypocritical mindset. Could such a picture ever be appealing? Could it ever draw men in need to Him? Remember, Christians proclaim to be like Him. What others see in us will be what they naturally assume He is too.

Since Christianity is about all being like Christ such pride and arrogance as such a mindset displays have no place in His character and should have no place in ours either. Jesus was sincere, caring, humble, and down-to-Earth. He loathed the bindings of religious tradition because He recognized that they placed unnecessary burdens on people and served as roadblocks to God. 

The last thing that I EVER want to be is a roadblock keeping someone else from God.


4 comments:

  1. Good reminder Annlee :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad it was helpful. Thanks for the comment! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd also come across this poem before, and was really impressed with the way it conveyed the humble and thankful spirit a Christian ought to have. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anita: It was my first time to see it, but I was very impressed. I was happy to share it! =)

    ReplyDelete

I always love to receive feedback! Thanks so much for your contribution!