Thursday, October 20, 2011

NaNoWriMo

Hello to all my readers!

I am thinking about trying my hand at a bit more writing. Since you, my brave readers, have already been reading what I write I thought I would share the idea with you. Basically NaNoWriMo is short for National Novel Writing Month. The concept is simple. Write a 50,000 word novel beginning November 1st and ending November 30th. It must all be written that month, must all be fiction, and must be your individual writing. You can get plot ideas and character sketches down ahead of time, but no actual story writing.

I am not sure that I have the talent or skills to actually accomplish it, but it sounds fun. I am not sure that I am going to be super intense about it, but I think I might just see how far I can get in a month. I have loved reading my whole life and even as a child dreamed about writing books. (What can I say? With a name like Anne I have always loved red hair and wanted to be an author?) As I got older I thought my skills were better suited to editing than writing, but as I have been writing on here I have rediscovered my love for writing too.

I guess I will just see how it goes. I may even post excerpts on here throughout November, just to give y'all a taste and to get your feedback as I am going. As I told a friend, I don't really know if I can do this, but if I am going to try, I am going to try to write something worthy of being published, something with quality and content. Not that my first try would probably actually be worth publishing, but that would be my goal. If I am going to spend my time doing it, I would want it to be readable, something that I would pick up and read if I were to see it in a bookstore. I want to draw on personal experiences and try to write something that will be both entertaining AND encouraging.

So what do y'all think? Should I go for it? Should I step out of my comfort zone and attempt something that I have never tried before and don't know if I can actually do? Should I open myself up to possible failure?

I think I just might.

*If you think my might want to join my journey and write a novel yourself, here is the website where you can learn more.

http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/whatisnano

3 comments:

  1. should go for it, I was thinking I might just do it myself. I remember seeing this sight a few years ago and now is a good a time as any...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anita: Thanks for asking! I guess I should follow through on my promise to give you all a peek at it soon. It's going well. As of tonight I have written 14,440 words! But that's roughly half of what I need to have written if I am going to finish on time. So, I may not make my goal, but NaNoWriMo still accomplished its goal - it got me writing!

    ReplyDelete

I always love to receive feedback! Thanks so much for your contribution!